Lehigh University
Lehigh Universiy

You are here

Driving Abroad

Driving Abroad

Driving Outside of the U.S.

Traveling by car may be far less safe abroad than in the U.S. and there may be far higher accident rates. See the Web site for the Association for Safe International Road Travel for more information: http://www.asirt.org/.

Lehigh University does not provide automobile coverage for the operation of motor vehicles outside of the United States. Insurance coverage must be purchased in the country where the vehicle is rented. For more information on policies and procedures regarding the use of Lehigh vehicles when traveling on University business, click on www.lehigh.edu/~intransp.

Note: If you will be operating or renting a vehicle for longer than sixty (60) days anywhere outside of the United States, you must notify the Risk Management Office (x83899) to ensure that proper general liability endorsements are added to the University's insurance policies.

In general, your personal U.S. auto insurance does not cover you abroad, but it may cover you in Canada and Mexico. Check with your automobile insurance agency. Even if your policy is valid, it may not meet the country's minimum requirements. If you are under-insured for a country, auto insurance usually can be purchased abroad.

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the benefits information on this site. However, if any provision on the benefits plans is unclear or ambiguous, the Human Resources Office and/or Risk Management reserve the right to interpret the plan and resolve the problem. If any inconsistency exists between this site and the written plans or contracts, the actual provisions of each benefit plan will govern. The provisions of the plans are subject to change.